Skip to main content

Simple!

You will remember my frustration at trying to get any information from the dreaded French administration as to how to get a duplicate copy of my driving licence. In the end I came to the conclusion that I would have to just go there and ask them directly. With this in mind, I had taken today off and this morning got up an hour earlier than usual, got into a bus and faced one of the coldest days we have had for a while to queue in front of the French consulat. I got there a good half hour before opening time and there were already about 20 people shivering in the wind and drizzle.

Finally, they opened the door and I got admitted unto this little bit of French soil. After a cursory search of my bag by a gendarme, I got to the reception desk where I explained my situation. The officer in front of me explained that I would have to make a declaration of loss with the consulat, send this to France to the prefecture which delivered my licence originaly to get some document or other from them which would then allow me to go to the DVLA who, after three weeks, would be in a position to give me a new driving licence. Oh and they would require to keep my passport for those three weeks to be able to do so. I was also informed that some people tried to have a new licence made in France. When, my past frustration surging back from its hiding place, I asked whether there was a more simple way to do things, the man informed me petulantly that it WAS all very simple, before directing me to one of his colleagues who would explain everything to me.

Once in the office where I had been directed and when I asked for the person dealing with driving licences I was told she would be there in a minute. I took a seat and starting to wait. Looking around at the people going about their business, the posters of long obsolete pictures of missing children, boxes of old books in French (one of them, said a label, to be delivered to the "visitors center" of some prison or other), my eyes finally settled on a TV showing the broadcast of The Funeral on the French equivalent of BBC1. I noticed a tall handsome man with a beard, looking like he was an employee there. He was walking down the corridor, when he looked up at one of the TV screens, signed himself and kissed his fingers. Quite an unexpected sight.

Eventually, I found myself in front of a middle aged woman who told me she was not dealing with driving licences (was I hearing right?). she printed out a document explaining what to do and told me to go back to the reception desk where I could make the declaration of loss. I went back there as directed and was told I would have to now wait an hour and did I want to do this. I said I would since I was there, was given a ticket and got directed to the waiting room. All sorts of people were piled up there on unconfortable lines of seats in a grim looking room lighted by overhead neon strips. Another TV was force feeding us The Funeral. I took my book out and tried to blank it out. It felt rather strange to hear people speak French around me. They sounded articifial as if they were taking extra care in pronouncing their words.

After a while (thankfully much less than an hour), a young woman, probably about my age, called my number and took me to her desk. We quickly identified (as I had expected) that I did not have the right documents with me to make the required declaration. I was told I would have to come back but that, this time, things would be more simple as I would be able to book an appointment through the internet. I have now booked the appointment, the earliest available one, on Monday 25th.

And so I was released from the simplicity of French administrative life into the rainy, windy and complicated English morning.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Short History of the Elephant and Castle and Its Name

Last night I attended a lecture by local historian Stephen Humphrey who discussed the general history of the Elephant & Castle, focussing more particularly on what he called its heyday (between 1850 and 1940). This is part of a week-long art project ( The Elephant Project ) hosted in an empty unit on the first floor of the infamous shopping centre, aiming to chart some of the changes currently happening to the area. When an historian starts talking about the Elephant and Castle, there is one subject he can not possibly avoid, even if he wanted to. Indeed my unsuspecting announcement on Facebook that I was attending such talk prompted a few people to ask the dreaded question: Where does the name of the area come from, for realz? Panoramic view of the Elephant and Castle around 1960/61. Those of us less badly informed than the rest have long discarded the theory that the name comes from the linguistic deformation of "Infanta de Castille", a name which would have become at

Rev. Peter Mullen's Blog

Rev. Peter Mullen is the chaplain to the London Stock Exchange and the rector of St Michael's Cornhill and St Sepulchre without Newgate in the City. Rev. Peter Mullen was also until recently a blogger. Sadly the result of his cyber labour seem to have been deleted but Google has thankfully cached some of it and I have saved a copy for posterity, just in case. The deletion of Rev. Mullen's writings might just have something to do with the fact that last week, the Evening Standard and then the Daily Mail published an article (the same article actually) about some of those very writings (even though the elements of said writings being quoted had been published in June this year, at the time of the blessing ceremony which took place between two members of the Church of England in St Bartholomew the Great - picture ). In the article, we learned what the Rev. thinks about gay people and what should be done to them: We ["Religious believers"] disapprove of homosexuality

Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison Swap Jerseys

I am having a bit of a vacuous evening looking at images of pretty rugby players. Addidas, with its latest viral campaign, Jersey Swap , seems to be squarely aiming at the gay market with a selection of five antipodean rugby players, visitor to the website can select and see take their tops off and... well... swap jersey (those interested can create posters too). My favorites of the bunch are Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison . The pictures of their pretty faces and bulging naked torsos (excuse me while I sit down for a second!) included to this post should tell you why. A job well done for Addidas. This will go round the Internet for a while, I think.