Skip to main content

The Touch Typed Diary - Excitment

Some background to what follows can be found here. Other installments are here.

I started this as a way to train at touch typing (hence the title) which I have finally taken up learning more or less seriously. At first I was typing what nonsense came across my mind and deleted it once I had finished. Gradually, it just turned into a diary relating the events (not very numerous) of my life. This has also the advantage of keeping me relatively busy at work when I have nothing else to do which seem to happen rather frequently these days.

25 February 2002

Lots of unexpected things happened this week end. First of all we did not go out on Friday as it had been planned and I ended up having a quite night in. I had a reply from Matthew. A guy I met on Gaydar last Sunday who had not got back to me yet. He is completing a PHD in Oxford and if not downright cute has a certain charm. He is probably Jewish. I sent him a very flamboyant e-mail with lots of silly things in it; he will probably be scared by the weirdo that I am.

I went for a run on Saturday morning; also it seems to be as hard as usual, I also seem to be going faster (although I am not aware of doing it) as it takes me less and less time to run the same distance… Soon, with the days growing longer, I will be able to go after work and thus several times a week; well that’s the idea anyway.

The afternoon brought bad news. My computer just about gave up the ghost and I spent about three hours at my local computer repair shop. The people are quite nice there, but I do not know if they will remain so when they discover what’s in the bloody thing (starting with the desktop picture)…

The owner of the shop is a Turkish man from Cyprus. I still do not know whether it a virus or just old age that caused the problem. I should be able to get the computer back on Tuesday. In the meantime, I feel like I have lost a limb or something of the sort. There is so much information in there and so many thinks that I do with this thing that I would be quite lost without it now. The more daunting thing is that I might have to loose all that is in the computer and there are lots of data that I could not replace and/or spare… That would be a real disaster.

On Sunday I went with MFS to her monthly Buddhist meeting. I have been there three times already and am getting used to it although I still do not think I am going to start chanting. We had decided to go clubbing after that (on a Sunday night !!!) and had found a club that sounded interesting and not too expensive but when we go there we were told that it was closed to the general public and that we needed to be on a guest list to be able to come in. We were quite disappointed but had no other choice than to go back home. It eventually turned out to be the right decision and we both felt rather tired and sleepy by the time we got to my place! What sort of night birds are we, hey ?!

Tonight is the lecture at the Purcell Room and the meeting with P.. I had to send him an e-mail from MFS’s computer to tell him that I was without my machine for the moment…and gave him my phone number in case he needed to contact me. I feel quite excited at the idea of this meeting; a bit as if it was a date I suppose, which it is not really… bad !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Short History of the Elephant and Castle and Its Name

Last night I attended a lecture by local historian Stephen Humphrey who discussed the general history of the Elephant & Castle, focussing more particularly on what he called its heyday (between 1850 and 1940). This is part of a week-long art project ( The Elephant Project ) hosted in an empty unit on the first floor of the infamous shopping centre, aiming to chart some of the changes currently happening to the area. When an historian starts talking about the Elephant and Castle, there is one subject he can not possibly avoid, even if he wanted to. Indeed my unsuspecting announcement on Facebook that I was attending such talk prompted a few people to ask the dreaded question: Where does the name of the area come from, for realz? Panoramic view of the Elephant and Castle around 1960/61. Those of us less badly informed than the rest have long discarded the theory that the name comes from the linguistic deformation of "Infanta de Castille", a name which would have become at

Rev. Peter Mullen's Blog

Rev. Peter Mullen is the chaplain to the London Stock Exchange and the rector of St Michael's Cornhill and St Sepulchre without Newgate in the City. Rev. Peter Mullen was also until recently a blogger. Sadly the result of his cyber labour seem to have been deleted but Google has thankfully cached some of it and I have saved a copy for posterity, just in case. The deletion of Rev. Mullen's writings might just have something to do with the fact that last week, the Evening Standard and then the Daily Mail published an article (the same article actually) about some of those very writings (even though the elements of said writings being quoted had been published in June this year, at the time of the blessing ceremony which took place between two members of the Church of England in St Bartholomew the Great - picture ). In the article, we learned what the Rev. thinks about gay people and what should be done to them: We ["Religious believers"] disapprove of homosexuality

Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison Swap Jerseys

I am having a bit of a vacuous evening looking at images of pretty rugby players. Addidas, with its latest viral campaign, Jersey Swap , seems to be squarely aiming at the gay market with a selection of five antipodean rugby players, visitor to the website can select and see take their tops off and... well... swap jersey (those interested can create posters too). My favorites of the bunch are Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison . The pictures of their pretty faces and bulging naked torsos (excuse me while I sit down for a second!) included to this post should tell you why. A job well done for Addidas. This will go round the Internet for a while, I think.