Skip to main content

It's New, It's Shiny and it's Mine

After 8 weeks of customer service comedy, phone calls and toing and froing of all kinds, I received on Saturday a voucher to replace my laptop which had been deemed irreparable after having been lost and found (more on this later). So today, I went to PC World on the Old Kent Road and gave myself over to the dark side.

TADDAAAAH!

A Macbook!

In the first few weeks of my troubles, I had been lent a laptop running Vista and I have to say I was not impressed. What I like(d) about PC's is that you can fiddle. You can tweak things, go behind the screen and adapt. To an extent.

Mac on the other hand runs smoothly, is all about integration and in many ways is for people who are more interested in results than in learning how to use a computer.

Vista, in my few, unfortunately and unhappily sits on the fence and ends up to be more frustrating than anything else. This herralds the end of the fiddly PC as I liked it.

Mac is also the machine of choice for people working in the creative industry (as I do now), so that should make things easier at work.

Last week, Slightly was on holiday and he lent me his own Macbook, which gave me the opportunity of a test drive before buying. There are a few things, nagging little details (and those are always the most annoying ones) which I am going to have to learn with. There is also an issue with some PC-based software I am used to (and can't do without) with no equivalent on Mac... Bootcamp, here I come!

Technical specifications:
* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
* 4MB cache
* 1GB RAM
* 80GB hard disk drive
* 13.3-inch screen
* Height: 1.08 inches (2.75 cm)
* Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)
* Depth: 8.92 inches (22.7 cm)
* Weight: 5.1 pounds (2.31 kg)
* up to 6 hours of battery life
* More


Comments

  1. You know that you've made the right move. I made the move to the white plastic shine brigade about a year ago and I'm now baffled at why PCs are so clunky to use. That said, now that they're shipping PCs with kubuntu pre-installed, I may make another shift to an even geekier place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kubuntu? My dear friend google says it's an operating system but what is so special about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. and how much would it cost me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. showoff! Actually I have a new one too. I love it. Shifted to mac a cuple of years ago.

    I was just about to cut you off my blogroll as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought a Fujitsu siemens Amelio notebook because i'm not an Apple fan. Maybe in the future, but now i'll stay with Windows...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here. Note that comments are moderated and only those in French or in English will be published. Thank you for taking the time to read this blog and to leave a thought.

Popular posts from this blog

A Short History of the Elephant and Castle and Its Name

Last night I attended a lecture by local historian Stephen Humphrey who discussed the general history of the Elephant & Castle, focussing more particularly on what he called its heyday (between 1850 and 1940). This is part of a week-long art project ( The Elephant Project ) hosted in an empty unit on the first floor of the infamous shopping centre, aiming to chart some of the changes currently happening to the area. When an historian starts talking about the Elephant and Castle, there is one subject he can not possibly avoid, even if he wanted to. Indeed my unsuspecting announcement on Facebook that I was attending such talk prompted a few people to ask the dreaded question: Where does the name of the area come from, for realz? Panoramic view of the Elephant and Castle around 1960/61. Those of us less badly informed than the rest have long discarded the theory that the name comes from the linguistic deformation of "Infanta de Castille", a name which would have become at

Rev. Peter Mullen's Blog

Rev. Peter Mullen is the chaplain to the London Stock Exchange and the rector of St Michael's Cornhill and St Sepulchre without Newgate in the City. Rev. Peter Mullen was also until recently a blogger. Sadly the result of his cyber labour seem to have been deleted but Google has thankfully cached some of it and I have saved a copy for posterity, just in case. The deletion of Rev. Mullen's writings might just have something to do with the fact that last week, the Evening Standard and then the Daily Mail published an article (the same article actually) about some of those very writings (even though the elements of said writings being quoted had been published in June this year, at the time of the blessing ceremony which took place between two members of the Church of England in St Bartholomew the Great - picture ). In the article, we learned what the Rev. thinks about gay people and what should be done to them: We ["Religious believers"] disapprove of homosexuality

Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison Swap Jerseys

I am having a bit of a vacuous evening looking at images of pretty rugby players. Addidas, with its latest viral campaign, Jersey Swap , seems to be squarely aiming at the gay market with a selection of five antipodean rugby players, visitor to the website can select and see take their tops off and... well... swap jersey (those interested can create posters too). My favorites of the bunch are Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison . The pictures of their pretty faces and bulging naked torsos (excuse me while I sit down for a second!) included to this post should tell you why. A job well done for Addidas. This will go round the Internet for a while, I think.